Monday, February 2, 2009

Our Adoption Story, Part 1

People asked about our adoption timeline and I thought it would be good to share a bit about how we got to this point. Our son, "Bug" is our biological miracle! I am a cancer survivor that had been told I most likely wouldn't be able to have my own children. Of course when you are a medical anomaly...they really don't know for certain. We got married knowing we wanted a couple kids. We started later in life so we didn't have time to waste. After about 6 months of marriage it was time to start praying and hoping for the best. We'd been told that conceiving could take up to a year and not to be discouraged so we had prepared ourselves. It took one cycle off my BC and I was late...not sure what that meant. I put off a test, afraid of the outcome. Finally I picked a few up, but still was afraid to check! One morning two full weeks late I had to know. I took the test and got in the shower. When I stepped out I took a cautious peek...I saw two clear lines...what did that mean? I looked and confirmed my greatest hope. I was pregnant! Now what? I hadn't even pondered how to tell CB. I stepped quietly into our room where he was still sleeping and simply whispered..."you were right, I am pregnant!". Poor guy about had a heart attack. He isn't a morning person at all and this was a shocker! Needless to say, I had to get in to the doctor to confirm it. They gave me confirmation and a heart beat! I was almost 8 weeks along at that point...we even got pics of our little "bug".


I had a great pregnancy, no problems no complaints. I actually enjoyed most days! We elected to have a C-section because I wasn't keen on the idea of labor or birth trouble. My doctor was very supportive and we set our date and made our plans. Delivery was a breeze. Took minutes to be looking at my son, all 7 lbs and 13 ounces of him...beautiful! When you have had major surgery a C-section is nothing. Other than some slight nausea afterward it was great. I was so annoyed to be grounded to my bed for 12 hours! We had Bug in our room and got to learn together how to care for this new little life. He had a bit of jaundice so we stayed an extra day to be pampered. Being mid November it was fairly cold and stormy, we stayed in a lot those first few weeks. CB had 6 weeks off and I had taken a 3 month leave...it was paradise! Those days went too fast...



I had a tough time getting my energy back. I went to the doctor and was treated for anemia and a persistent cough. I couldn't walk up stairs or run without getting totally winded and coughing. I took antibiotics and even used an inhaler to try to improve my symptoms. I ended up in the ER late one night and got sent home with a diagnosis of viral bronchitis. Eventually my GP decided to do some tests and I found out I had gall stones and needed to get my gall bladder removed. Simple scope surgery, out patient...should be easy. By this time my Bug was almost 18 months old and he needed a energetic momma to keep up with him! Surgery went well, my dear mom came over to help out when I got home. Hubby went back to work, Bug to his caregiver and I had a few days off to recover. Sadly, I began to feel worse instead of better. Short of breath and having gained almost 10 lbs, I called my doctor. Something wasn't right, I wasn't even eating anything. He examined me and sent me home telling me this was "normal" following abdominal surgery.

Two sleepless nights of panic because I couldn't lay flat and my heart was racing finally sent us to Urgent Care thinking perhaps I was bleeding internally. They did respond, My BP was 180/115 and heart rate was over 120. I knew I didn't feel good and I was fighting to stay conscious by this point. They told my dear hubby that he could take me to the ER or they would call for an ambulance. I begged him to take me. We called my parents and they met us there to take Bug. I also called my sister on the way who was in Medical school and a great advocate and support to me.

No waiting at the ER. I was in a hooked to machines before I really knew what was happening. Lots of tests, no one really talking to me directly other than to ask the same questions over and over. Chest x-ray showed an enlarged heart and pulmonary edema. Next came an Echocardiogram that showed an EF of 20%. Not good. Here I was a new momma only in my 30's in full heart failure. Off to the ICU I went. I was terrified, cried a lot just kept thinking over and over that I needed to be here for my son. We had never even been apart and they were admitting me to the ICU. I knew enough to know that wasn't good. After all, the heart is one thing we can't live without.

No comments: